Monday, April 7, 2008

Another...? Sure!

Yesterday, I mentioned an alt, but did not introduce her. Today, behold!

Her name is Mahinva, her cat is named Wicket, and if you're very observant, you'd realize that she's a hunter. Which means I've got 2 hunters now!

Mahinva, the hunter, is a character over a year in the making. For this tale, we must think back to the day when The Burning Crusade was released, or rather, a few months before.

[[Initiate Flashback.]]

I remember viewing TBC's "trailer" website daily, waiting to see if any new screenshots or concept art was released. Most of the screenshots were of scenery, and a couple were of characters. This was all well and good, until I saw a screenshot of a female character, sitting down very quaintly by the water's edge. This was the first time a screenshot of a female Draenei was released, and I was impressed!

Instantly, I wished that Blizzard would hand out "race change" tokens or some such, just so I could transform Sec into a Draenei. Of course, Blizzard would never do such a thing, and I wasn't about to roll yet another hunter, when I was already busy with Sec!

My husband and I purchased TBC the night it came out and rolled a couple of Draenei, just to see how things were. Do you remember the bustling zone of Azurmyst Isle? Oh, the lag, the crappy fps, the horror! I think I rolled a shaman, while my husband rolled a paladin (if not mistaken.) My memory of these details is vague because we only ended up playing the game for a week after the expansion came out. It was not a leave we wanted to take, but life sometimes calls for such decisions.

When we returned to WoW, roughly 9 months later, we rerolled Draenei characters in the hopes of getting a bit further than we did before.

Mahinva the shaman was deleted and became Mahinva the paladin. I had never played a paladin before, and I thought that it would compliment my husband's Draenei hunter. Things were good until we decided to return to our mains, meaning I picked up Sec again. Mahinva mainly sat idle. She still sits on Sentinels, to this day.

[[End Flashback.]]

At present, I found myself on a new server, with a spacious roster. I had no Alliance characters, and so the decision to make my Draenei hunter was a very quick and easy one. I certainly don't mind to have another hunter, as both are on different factions and will get to experience the game in slightly different ways. I do not mind to reuse the name, as I am fond of it. The same goes for Mahinva's background. This, yes, is probably cheating, in terms of roleplay creativity. However, Mahinva's brief background never grew to involve other individuals; I had intentionally left it very open.

By intentionally having a broad and shallow background, I have avoided constricting this character. Usually, I'd much rather conjure another idea, as it's good exercise for the imagination, but as it currently stands, I've got a nice base from which to grow upon at a casual pace.

Personally, I don't like to think up a very precise background to a character, as I'd rather let the surroundings around the character help to shape, rather than have a pre-defined mold.

I'll get around to posting my characters' backgrounds, which tend to be very brief, even just a one-liner. As all of these characters on Moon Guard are new, they haven't seen too much, done too much, or interacted with too many people.

Oh yeah, tomorrow is Maintenance Tuesday. Maybe it won't be a repeat of last Tuesday.

0 comments:

World of Warcraft™ and Blizzard Entertainment® are all trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment in the United States and/or other countries. These terms and all related materials, logos, and images are copyright © Blizzard Entertainment. This site is in no way associated with Blizzard Entertainment®